Have a blessed Beltane and May Day.
Beltaine, Bealtaine, May Day, May Eve, Lady Day, Roodmas, Walpurgis Night
April 30th-May 1st
Beltane is a spring celebration that honors the fertility of the earth. It’s a time of lust, passion, sex, fire, and abundance.
- Celebrated approximately halfway between Vernal (Spring) equinox and the Midsummer (Summer Solstice). A cross-quarter festival. Beltane traditionally marked the arrival of summer.
- The day was a traditional summer holiday in many pre-Christian European pagan cultures. While February 1 was the first day of Spring, May 1 was the first day of summer. Hence, the Summer Solstice on June 21 was Midsummer.
- Beltane translated means “fire of Bel” or “bright fire” – the “bale-fire”. Bel (Beli, Belinus, Belenos) is the known as the bright and shinning one, a Celtic Sun God.
- Old Irish Beltaine/Beltine, Modern Irish Bealtaine, Scottish Gaelic Bealltainn. The Gaelic name for the month of May.
- Incorporates traditions from the Gaelic Bealtaine, such as…
View original post 369 more words